World Map of Social Networks
A brand new map of the world, showing the most popular social networks by country, according to Alexa & Google Trends for Websites traffic data* (December 2010).
I???ve decided to drop Many Eyes and redesign the map in order to give each social network a fixed colour to ease comparability over time. Below you will find an updated version plus an infographic poster of all changes since June 2009.
Zuckerberg???s creature continues to gain users around the world (almost 600 millions). Since June 2010 Facebook has stolen new important nations from local, previously strong, competitors (in 115 out of 132 countries analyzed it is market leader) especially in Europe. In particular:
– From Iwiw: Hungary
– From Nasza-Klasa: Poland
– From Hi5: Mongolia
– From Orkut (Google): Paraguay and India. Orkut remains the first social network in Brasil.
In Japan Mixi is still the most used web-based social network (Ameba that I previously mentioned it???s not a pure social networking site, but also a portal/blog-hosting provider). But if we look to mobile social networks usage the leader is Gree followeb by Mobage Town. [edited thanks to the insights from Akky Akimoto]
The situation remains unclear in Armenia, Georgia, Netherlands. In this countries Alexa give victory to Facebook, but Google Trends for Websites still shows a predominance of local players.
Top 3 Social Networking Sites (December 2010)
If we take a look over Facebook???s shoulders we can see the rise of Twitter especially against MySpace (in Australia, Canada, Germany and Italy) and the slow but constant growth of LinkedIn (in Australia, Canada, UK). New entries since last June analysis highlighted in yellow.
World Map of Social Networks Poster /// LIKE ??? SHARE ??? BUY IT
To put this infographic on your web site, just copy and paste the HTML code below:
A map of the world, showing the most popular social networks by country, according to Alexa & Google Trends for Websites traffic data* (June 2010).
Please share, like and help me to improve it with your comments !
Some visible changes to highlight since December 09 map (see below): Month after month Facebook continues to gain users around the world (almost 500 millions). Since December 2009 Facebook has stolen new nations from its local competitors (in 111 out of 131 countries analyzed it is market leader). In particular:
– From Orkut (Google): Estonia and maybe India (Alexa gives India to FB, while Google Trends for Websites shows an head to head match with Orkut as winner. If you take a look at keywork searched graph you???ll se a growing interest towards the American social network. The same trend is visible in Paraguay).
– From Hi5: Thailand, Romania, Peru, Portugal. Hi5 resists in Mongolia where the situation is unclear.
– From One: Lithuania
– From Wretch: Taiwan
– From Friendster: Philippines Odnoklassniki and V Kontakte still remains the social networks preferred by Russian people
In Europe: Hungary, Poland and Netherlands still love local providers.
P.S. the situation is unclear in Armenia, Georgia, India, Mongolia, Paraguay.
Top 3 Social Networking Sites (June 2010)
One year after the previous ranking table (below) we can see the rise of Twitter against MySpace (in Australia and Canada) and Bebo (in UK) and the slow growth of Linkedin.
A map of the world, showing the most popular social networks by country, according to Alexa & Google Trends for Websites traffic data* (December 2009).
Please share and help me to improve it with your comments !
Some visible changes to highlight from June map (see below):
– Facebook continues its colonization of the world with more than 350 millions users. Since June Facebook conquered new territories from its competitors (in 100 out of 127 countries analyzed it is market leader). In particular:
– From Orkut (Google): India. Caution: data based on Alexa only, because Google doesn???t provide Orkut traffic data. It could be interesting to understand if these two social networks ar
e mirroring social class divisions.
– From Hi5: Cameroon, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua. Hi5 resists in Peru, Portugal, Romania, Thailand and Mongolia
– From Odnoklassniki: Azerbaijan only. It seems that Facebook hasn???t found a good strategy to convince Russian people that still prefer Odnoklassniki and V Kontakte.
– From Maktoob: Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Yemen
– From Cyworld: South Korea
– From Lid??: Czech Republic
– From Skyrock: Guadeloupe and Martinique I???ve added to the map: Cuba, Qatar, Reunion
I???ve deleted Iran because censorship situation doesn???t allow me to get reliable data. If you have any insight please help me.
A map of the world, showing the most popular social networks by country, according to Alexa & Google Trends for Websites traffic data* (June 2009).
Please share and help me to improve it with your comments !
Top 3 Social Networking Sites:
Some visible patterns to highlight:
– Facebook has almost colonized Europe and it???s extending its domination with more than 200 millions users
– QQ, leader in China, is the largest social network of the world (300 millions active accounts)
– MySpace lost its leadership everywhere (except in Guam)
– V Kontakte is the most popular in Russian territories
– **Orkut **is strong in India and Brazil
– **Hi5 **is still leading in Peru, Colombia, Ecuador and other scattered countries such as Portugal, Mongolia, Romania
– **Odnoklassniki **is strong in some former territories of the Soviet Union
– **Maktoob **is the most important Arab community/portal
Other country specific social networks:
– **Iwiw **in Hungary
– Nasza-klasa in Poland
– **Cyworld **in South Korea
– **Friendster **in Philippines
– **Hyves **in Netherlands
– **Lid?? **in Czech Republic
– **Mixi **in Japan
– **One **in Lithuania
– **Draugiem **in Latvia
– **Wretch **in Taiwan
– **Zing **in Vietnam
* Data based on Alexa & Google Trends for Website results:
– ???Alexa???s traffic rankings are based on the usage patterns of Alexa Toolbar users and data collected from other, diverse sources over a rolling 3 month period. A site???s ranking is based on a combined measure of reach (unique Alexa users who visit a site on a given day) and pageviews (the total number of Alexa user URL requests for a site).???
– ???Google Trends for Websites shows you a graph reflecting the number of daily unique visitors???
via vincos.itFacebook is every year a couple steps closer to become the social network monopoly.