Top 5 Ranking Factors
Keyword Focused Anchor Text from External Links73% very high importance73%
External Link Popularity (quantity/quality of external links)71% very high importance71%
Diversity of Link Sources (links from many unique root domains)67% very high importance67%
Keyword Use Anywhere in the Title Tag66% very high importance66%
Trustworthiness of the Domain Based on Link Distance from Trusted Domains (e.g. TrustRank, Domain mozTrust, etc.)66% very high importance66%
Top 5 Negative Ranking Factors
Cloaking with Malicious/Manipulative Intent68% very high importance68%
Link Acquisition from Known Link Brokers/Sellers56% high importance56%
Links from the Page to Web Spam Sites/Pages51% moderate importance51%
Cloaking by User Agent51% moderate importance51%
Frequent Server Downtime & Site Inaccessibility51% moderate importance51%
Top 5 Most Contentious Factors
- Cloaking by Cookie Detection 16.3% strong contention
- Hiding Text with same/similar colored text/background 15.3% moderate contention
- Cloaking by IP Address 15.3% moderate contention
- Cloaking by User Agent 15.2% moderate contention
Note: Consensus and contention percentages are calculated based on the standard deviations of contributor answers.
Participants were asked to apply the ranking factors to Google’s search engine, and although we’ve found that it’s largely applicable to other major US engines (Bing, Yahoo! & Ask), some variance almost certainly exists.
Overall Ranking Algorithm
- 24% Trust/Authority of the Host Domain
- 22% Link Popularity of the Specific Page
- 20% Anchor Text of External Links
- 15% On-Page Keyword Usage
- 7% Traffic and Click-Through Data
- 6% Social Graph Metrics
- 5% Registration and Hosting Data
Good and brief SEO summary from SEOmoz, with the few things not to ever ignore if you want to optimize your search engine results. It is also a good view on the core of Google’s search algorithm.
SEO experts are the new alchimists, always looking for the philosophical stone (Google’s algorithm) to turn their websites into gold.