- 84% (16 out of 19) of the sites have more female than male users.
- The social news sites Digg, Reddit and Slashdot have significantly more male users than female. The standout here is Slashdot which takes male geekdom to new heights with 82% male users.
- If we hadn’t included the three social news sites, all of the sites would have had more females than males.
- Twitter and Facebook have almost the same male-female ratio; Twitter with 59% female users and Facebook with 57%.
- The most female-dominated site? Bebo (66% female users), closely followed by MySpace and Classmates.com (64%).
- The average ratio of all 19 sites was 47% male, 53% female.
And here’s a chart with the male/female ratio for all the sites, for your viewing pleasure:
The big question
Why do you think certain sites attract more males than females and vice versa? We’d love to hear what you think, so please let us know in the comments.
Only good for the US but quite interesting. Age distribution by gender would be very helpful to get a better picture.